What to Do if the Adverse Party Violates the Protection Order

If the adverse party violates the terms of the protection order, visit this section to learn what you can do.


Call 911 if the Adverse Party is Present

The police can verify that you have a protection order, and if the adverse party is present when the police arrive, the police can arrest him/her.  


File a Police Report

You can file a complaint at any police station.  The police will determine whether to pursue charges and make an arrest.


File a Contempt Motion at Court

You can file a motion for contempt that will set a hearing in front of the domestic violence judge.  You can find the forms and instructions in the packet below:

TPO: Motion for an Order to Show Cause (Contempt)

A contempt motion usually requires two hearings: one for the judge to decide if it appears the person violated the protection order, and a second longer trial where the judge can hear from witnesses and consider evidence.  The judge cannot hold a person in contempt unless the judge is convinced after the trial that the other person willfully violated the order.