Services at Your Court

Learn about services that may be available at the court, including court clerks, self-help centers, mediation services, the family violence intervention program, ask-a-lawyer programs, and court interpreters.

Court Clerk

The court clerk files all court documents and schedules hearings. The clerk of the court also maintains and secures all court records and evidence.

The clerk's office for the Eighth Judicial District Court maintains court records from September 1909 through the present date. Most records dating from 1990 to present may be searched online. Visit the Clerk of Court's webpage to learn more.

Self-Help Centers

There are two self-help centers in Clark County that provide help to individuals representing themselves in the court system.

  • Family Law Self-Help Center. The Family Law Self-Help Center provides assistance to self-represented individuals who have legal matters before the family court. You are currently on the Family Law Self-Help Center's website. Visit the About the Self-Help Center for more information.
  • Civil Law Self-Help Center. The Civil Law Self-Help center provides assistance to individuals who are representing themselves in civil matters. Visit the Civil Law Self-Help Center page for an overview of the center.

Mediation Services

The Family Mediation Center helps parents resolve child custody and visitation issues. During mediation, parents meet with a neutral mediator who tries to help the parents reach an agreement on the issues. Mediation is private and confidential.

Mediation is required whenever parents cannot agree on custody and/or visitation. Parents can ask their judge for a referral to FMC, or a judge may order the parties to participate in FMC services. Visit the Family Mediation Center page to learn more.

DV Protection Orders

The Protection Order office is a cooperative effort between Family Court and Safe Nest, dedicated to reducing acts of domestic abuse in our community. The office provides assistance with filing applications for protection orders, information regarding court procedures, safety planning, and community awareness of domestic violence issues.

The Protection Order office is located at the Family Courts and Services Center. For more information about this and other programs that assist domestic violence victims, please visit the DV Protection Orders page.

Ask-A-Lawyer Programs

The Family Law Self-Help Center currently offers two free Ask-a-Lawyer programs – one for people with general family law questions, and one for people with questions about child support. The Ask-A-Lawyer programs offer self-represented individuals the chance to sign up for a short consultation with a lawyer free of charge. Visit the Free Family Law Ask-A-Lawyer page to learn more.

The Civil Law Self-Help Center offers three free Ask-A-Lawyer programs – one for landlords and tenants with evictions/housing issues, one for homeowners with questions about foreclosure, and one for unrepresented individuals seeking legal advice about their small claims case. For more information about these programs, visit the Civil Law Self-Help Center Ask-A-Lawyer page.

Court Interpreters

If you are non-English speaking and have a case pending in district court, you should contact the District Court Interpreter's Office to arrange for an interpreter at least 48 hours before your hearing or trial is scheduled. The District Court Interpreter's office provides professional interpreting services for virtually any language. Visit the Interpreters page to learn more.