Getting the Final Divorce Decree

There are a few more forms that you have to turn in to finalize your divorce. This page explains the process and the different forms so you can turn in your final set of papers to get the divorce granted. 

Read each section carefully - every case is different and there are different forms you will need depending on what happened in your case. Your divorce is not final until the judge signs and files a Decree of Divorce!


This page is for cases that started with one person filing for divorce against the other. This page is not for people who filed jointly for divorce from the start. To learn how to get a divorce approved if you filed a Joint Petition for Divorce, please see Filing for Divorce Together.

How a Divorce is Granted
Steps to Getting a Final Decree:

How a Divorce is Granted

There are three different ways that a divorce is usually granted:

  • Divorce by Default: If the Defendant was served with the summons and complaint for divorce, but did not file any paperwork within 21 days, the Plaintiff can ask the court to enter a default and grant a final divorce. The Plaintiff will typically get a Decree of Divorce that includes everything asked for in the complaint. Follow ALL of the steps below if you would like to get a Default Decree of Divorce.

  • Divorce by Agreement: If both parties reach an agreement on all terms of the divorce after the case has been filed, they can prepare a final Decree of Divorce with their full agreement included. The Defendant must file an Answer and pay the filing fee to do this.  Both parties must sign the Decree of Divorce, and can usually submit the Decree to the judge for approval without a hearing.  Start at Step 2 below to get the divorce finalized this way.

  • Divorce Granted at a Trial or Hearing: When the judge grants a divorce at a trial or a hearing, the judge will tell you all of the orders that are to be part of the final divorce. However, the divorce is not final until the written Decree of Divorce is signed by the judge. Usually, the judge tells one party to “prepare the decree.” Whoever was ordered to prepare the decree can start at Step 3 or 4 below to get the divorce finalized this way. 

Steps to Getting the Final Decree


Prepare the Paperwork

The following steps and forms must be completed to get your final Decree of Divorce:

  1. Default. If you are seeking a Default Decree of Divorce (because Defendant did not file any paperwork within 21 days of being served), you first have to get a default entered against the Defendant.

    The Plaintiff must complete the default form and bring it to the Clerk’s Office for approval.  You must enter the date the Defendant was served on this form (check the Affidavit of Service for the date if you do not remember).  If Defendant was served by publication, the date of service is usually the last date listed under the publication dates on the Affidavit of Publication.

    Default (pdf)  Default (pdf fillable)


    If Defendant made an appearance in the case (in some way that would indicate Defendant planned to participate in the case, such as signing a waiver), you must send the Defendant a 7 Day Notice of Intention to Enter Default Judgment after you get your default approved by the clerk.  Complete the form, file it, and mail a copy to the Defendant. 

    After mailing, wait 3 business days for the mail to reach the Defendant, and another 7 days for the Defendant to file something to stop the final decree from being approved.  If Defendant still does not file anything after those deadlines, you can turn in the final papers to get a final decree.
  2. Summary Disposition Request. If you want a divorce without having a hearing, fill out the Request for Summary Disposition and an Affidavit in Support. These forms ask the judge to approve of the Decree of Divorce without a hearing. Only one party needs to complete these forms (usually the Plaintiff).

    Request for Summary Disposition (pdf fillable) 

    Affidavit in Support of Request for Summary Disposition - With Kids (pdf fillable)

    Affidavit in Support of Request for Summary Disposition - No Kids (pdf fillable)

  3. Affidavit of Resident Witness.  This form is only needed if you are asking for a final Decree of Divorce without having a hearing, or if the judge did not establish either party’s Nevada residency on record at a hearing.  One spouse must be a Nevada resident in order to get divorced in Nevada. The Affidavit of Resident Witness is the proof that one of the spouses has lived in Nevada for at least 6 weeks before filing for divorce and intends to remain here. Ask a friend, coworker, or family member who sees the Nevada resident spouse 3-4 times per week to complete this form.

    Affidavit of Resident Witness (pdf)  Affidavit of Resident Witness (pdf fillable)

  4. Confidential Information Sheet. This form discloses both spouses' social security numbers (which is required for everyone filing for divorce) and helps parents with child support enforcement in the future if needed.  

    Confidential Information Sheet - WITH CHILDREN (pdf fillable)

    Confidential Information Sheet - NO CHILDREN (pdf fillable)

  5. Seminar for Separating Parents ("COPE") Certificate. If there are children, complete the seminar for separating parents and file a certificate of completion. You will receive a certificate of completion after you attend the class. For more information, see Seminar for Separating Parents.

  6. The Decree of Divorce. The Decree of Divorce is the final order that includes all the terms of the divorce. How you fill out the Decree of Divorce will depend on how you are getting the final decree:

    • If you are getting a Default Decree of Divorce: Everything in your proposed Decree of Divorce should match everything you asked for in your complaint.
    • If both parties are signing the Decree of Divorce: The Decree of Divorce must include all of the agreements between you and your spouse. You both must sign the Decree of Divorce.
    • If you are submitting a Decree of Divorce based on a hearing or trial: Everything in your proposed Decree of Divorce must match everything the judge ordered at your hearing. You should obtain a copy of the “minutes” from your hearing from the Court Records department. Make sure everything included in the minutes is included in the proposed Decree of Divorce.

    Decree of Divorce – No Children (pdf) 

    Decree of Divorce – No Children (pdf fillable)

    Decree of Divorce - No Children (word fillable) - you can add extra orders and findings.

    Decree of Divorce – With Children (pdf) 

    Decree of Divorce – With Children (pdf fillable)  

    Decree of Divorce - With Children (word fillable) - you can add extra orders and findings.


If the judge approved of a Parenting Agreement that you and your spouse mediated at FMC, you may want to attach the Parenting Agreement as an “Exhibit” to the Decree instead of the blank visitation schedule that is included with this form. This will make sure your full custody and visitation schedule is included in your final divorce decree.


File the Documents with the Court

File all the documents above, except the Decree of Divorce, with the court (the decree must be brought or mailed to the judge). Just like with your initial documents, you can file the papers in one of three ways:

  • In Person at the Family Courthouse.
  • By Mail (Family Court, 601 North Pecos, Las Vegas, NV 89101).
  • Online through eFileNV (the decree and some confidential documents cannot be filed online and will need to be submitted in person or by mail).


Submit the Decree of Divorce to the Judge

Bring your original Decree of Divorce and two copies to the Family Courthouse (or mail to 601 N. Pecos, Las Vegas, NV 89101).  There is a Department Drop Box located outside the Self-Help Center on the 1st floor.  Drop the Decree in the box.


Wait for the Decree of Divorce

The judge will review the Decree of Divorce, and if everything is completed properly, the judge will sign the Decree of Divorce.  The judge's staff might call you when the Decree is ready so you can pick it up and file it yourself, or the judge's staff might send it to you in the mail (it is usually mailed to the person who filled out the upper left corner of the first page). Make sure the Decree is "filed" at the clerk's office, since that is the date the divorce is final.

If there is a problem with the paperwork, you will receive a memo from the judge’s staff letting you know what needs to be fixed. You will have to fix the problem and resubmit the Decree of Divorce. 


The date you are legally divorced is the date the Decree is "filed" at the Clerk's Office, not the date the judge signs the Decree!  This is the date that appears on the upper right corner on the first page of the Decree of Divorce. If the judge's staff tells you to "file" the Decree, make sure you file it at the Clerk's Office so your divorce will be final.


File a Notice of Entry of Order

The date this form gets filed is the date that starts the timelines for anyone to appeal. After you receive the signed and filed final Decree of Divorce, you must fill out the Notice of Entry of Order and attach a copy of the Decree of Divorce.

File the Notice of Entry of Order (with a copy of the Decree attached) with the court. Be sure to fill out the Certificate of Mailing at the bottom, because you will have to mail a copy of this form to the other party the same day you file it.

Notice of Entry of Order (pdf)  Notice of Entry of Order (pdf fillable) 


Serve the Other Party 

Make a copy of the Notice of Entry of Order (with the Decree of Divorce attached) and mail it to the other party. You can mail it by regular mail.