Name Changes for Children

When Both Parents Agree to the Name Change (or one parent is deceased or has no legal rights)

When both parents agree to change a child's name, the parents can file papers to have a judge legally change the child's name.  Only one parent's consent is needed under certain limited circumstances.  Read on to learn how to have a child's name changed when both parents are in agreement.

Read more ...

If One Parent Will Not Agree to a Name Change

If one parent will not agree to have a child's name changed, the other parent can file papers to request the change.  The non-consenting parent must be served with copies of the name change papers and given a chance to object. A judge may or may not grant a child's name change without the other parent's consent.  Read on for more information about how to petition for a child's name change when only one parent is asking for the name change.

Read more ...