Filing for Divorce Together

Filing for Divorce Together


Make sure you understand the basic divorce concepts before filling out any forms. There is a FREE DIVORCE CLASS where you can learn the basics of divorce law and court procedures. Classes are offered in English and Spanish. Visit Free Classes for more information.

You can also visit the Divorce Overview and Custody Overview pages to learn the basics of filing for divorce/custody in Nevada.

A Joint Petition for Divorce is the quickest and easiest way to get divorced in Nevada. To do this, you and your spouse must have a full agreement on all of the following:

  • The legal custody, physical custody, and visitation schedule for any minor children;
  • Who will pay how much in child support and who will provide health insurance for the children; 
  • How to divide any property and debts; 
  • Whether one spouse will pay the other alimony and if so, how much and for how long; and
  • Whether either spouse wants to return to a former or maiden name.

If you and your spouse can agree on all of the issues above, you can jointly sign all of the divorce papers together. Judges often approve these divorces without a hearing, so you probably will not have to see a judge.

Follow these steps to get a Joint Decree of Divorce:

Step 1: Complete the Papers
Step 2: File the Papers
Step 3: Submit the Decree to the Judge


When you file a Joint Petition, you give up certain rights that you would otherwise have:

  1. The right to appeal the divorce decree
  2. Notice of Entry of Decree of Divorce (this triggers deadlines for an appeal, but since you are waiving the right to appeal, you do not need the formal Notice of Entry).
  3. The right to request that the judge make certain findings of fact and conclusions of law relating to your agreement in the Joint Petition.
  4. The right to move for a new trial.

Step 1: Complete the Papers

All of the following documents must be completed to file a Joint Petition for Divorce.  Do not skip any documents, or your filing may be rejected by the Court.


For spouses who would like to file for divorce together, there is an automated interview available that will complete your forms for you after answering some questions.  To use the automated interview, please click here and select the "DIVORCE: Joint Petition" interview..  At the end of the interview you will have to print your forms, have both spouses sign and notarize the forms, and then file them with the family court.

The individual forms needed to file a joint divorce are below if you prefer to fill them out separately. 


Family Court Cover Sheet

This form is REQUIRED.  It asks for basic information about you, your spouse, and any children that you and your spouse have together. The Clerk of Court uses this information to open your case.  

Family Court Cover Sheet (pdf)  Family Court Cover Sheet (pdf fillable) 


Affidavit Of Resident Witness

This form is REQUIRED.  One spouse must be a Nevada resident for at least 6 weeks to get a divorce in Nevada.  If you are both Nevada residents, pick one person to name as the Nevada resident and be sure to name that same spouse throughout all of your documents.

This form should be filled out by a friend, coworker, or family member who sees you 3-4 times per week.  It is the proof that one of the spouses has lived in Nevada for at least 6 weeks before filing for divorce and intends to remain here.

Someone other than you or your spouse must fill out this form as close to the date you will file your papers as possible.    

Affidavit of Resident Witness (pdf)  Affidavit of Resident Witness (pdf fillable) 


Joint Petition for Divorce

This form is REQUIRED.  It tells the judge how you and your spouse have agreed to settle everything in the divorce, such as custody, visitation, child support, division of property and debts, alimony, and whether either spouse will return to a former name. You and your spouse must complete every section, and you both must sign the Joint Petition in front of a notary. 

Sign this form in front of a notary as close to the date you will file your papers as possible.  You can sign it separately in front of different notaries, but try to make sure the dates you sign are close together.

Joint Petition for Divorce - No Children (pdf) 

Joint Petition for Divorce - No Children (pdf fillable) 

Joint Petition for Divorce - With Children (pdf) 

Joint Petition for Divorce - With Children (pdf fillable)


If you and your spouse cannot agree on everything in this form, you may have to file for divorce separately. See Filing for Divorce On Your Own for more information.

Decree of Divorce

This form is REQUIRED.  The judge will sign the Decree of Divorce when your divorce is approved. Both spouses must complete and sign the Decree of Divorce before the judge can sign.  

Decree of Divorce - No Children (pdf) 

Decree of Divorce - No Children (pdf fillable) 

Decree of Divorce - With Children (pdf) 

Decree of Divorce - With Children (pdf fillable)


You are not divorced until the judge signs the Decree and it is filed with the Clerk of Court.

Confidential Information Sheet

This form is REQUIRED.  This form discloses both spouses' social security numbers (which is required for everyone filing for divorce) and helps parents with child support enforcement in the future if needed.  

Confidential Information Sheet - WITH CHILDREN (pdf fillable)

Confidential Information Sheet - NO CHILDREN (pdf fillable)


Seminar for Separating Parents ("COPE") Certificate

If you and your spouse have minor children together, both parents must complete a seminar for separating parents (formerly known as the "COPE" Class). You will receive a certificate of completion after you attend the class. File the Certificate of Completion with the rest of your papers.  For more information, see Seminar for Separating Parents.


Step 2: File the Papers

The court charges $299 to file the papers.  You can pay by cash, money order, or most major credit/debit cards. If you cannot afford the fee, please see Filing Fees and Waivers to find out how to ask the court to waive the fee.

You can file your papers one of three ways:

  1. In Person: Bring your filing fee and the forms to the Family Courts and Services Center and file your papers at the Clerk’s Office. The Clerk’s Office is open Monday – Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m, but you must arrive by 3:40 p.m. to see a Clerk before closing. Be sure to arrive before then.

  2. By Mail: If you cannot come to the court during business hours, you can mail your forms and the filing fee to:

    Family Courts and Services Center
    Attn: Clerk of Court
    601 North Pecos Road
    Las Vegas, NV 89101

  3. Online: Many documents can be filed online through the court's e-filing system, eFileNV (although some documents must be filed in person). There is a fee of $3.50 to upload your documents, in addition to the regular filing fee. You must register for an account, you must provide a valid email address, and you must be able to scan and upload your documents. The Confidential Information Sheet must be filed in person.  The Decree of Divorce cannot be filed online since the judge has to sign it first; you will have to bring the Decree of Divorce to the courthouse either in person or by mail.


If you efile your papers, you are agreeing to be served with future legal documents by email. If you do this, you must keep your email address updated with the Court, and you must make sure emails from the e-filing system do not go into your “spam” folder.

Step 3: Submit the Decree to the Judge

Make 3 copies of your filed Joint Petition after it is processed by the clerk.  The copies should have a case number and a filing date on the first page.  Make 2 copies of the Decree of Divorce.  Attach one copy of the filed Joint Petition to the original Decree of Divorce and to both copies. 

To complete the divorce, submit the following to the judge assigned to your case:

  • Your original Decree of Divorce with a copy of the filed Joint Petition attached (there should be a case number and a filing date on the first page of the Joint Petition);
  • Two copies of the Decree of Divorce with a copy of the filed Joint Petition attached;
  • One copy of all of your other filed documents.

Bring the documents to the courthouse and drop them in the Department Drop Box on the 1st floor outside the Self-Help Center, or mail everything to the court.

The judge will review your papers, and if everything is completed properly and the judge approves of your agreement, the judge will sign your Decree of Divorce. The judge's staff might call you when the Decree is signed so you can pick it up and file it yourself, or the judge's staff might send the Decree of Divorce to one of the spouses in the mail.

Whoever gets the final Decree is responsible for the following:

  1. Make sure the Decree is "filed" at the Clerk's office, since the filing date is the date the divorce is final. Some judges file the Decree for you, and some expect you to file it yourself.  If you receive a decree that has a date on the upper right corner of the first page, the Decree is already filed. But if you receive the original Decree with no markings on the first page, it will be your job to file it at the Clerk's Office. 
  2. Mail a copy of the filed Decree to the other person. After mailing, fill out a Certificate of Mailing and file it with the court to prove that both parties have a copy.

Certificate of Mailing - Decree (pdf)  Certificate of Mailing - Decree (pdf fillable) 

Your divorce is final on the date your Decree of Divorce is “filed” with the Clerk – not the date the judge signs the Decree! Look at the upper right corner of the first page of Decree of Divorce to find the filing date. Do not get remarried until you know for sure that your Decree of Divorce is “filed” with the court.