How to Extend, Change, or Cancel a Protection Order

You may want to extend the protection order, change the terms of the protection order, or cancel it completely.  You also might want to contest a decision the hearing master made in your case.  If so, visit this section to find the forms needed and the steps to take. 

How to Extend a TPO
How to Change or Cancel a Protection Order
How to Object to a Hearing Master's Recommendation
How to Oppose A Motion or Objection the Other Party Filed

For Applicants: Extending a TPO

When you apply for a protection order, you can ask for a temporary 45-day order plus an extended order that could last up to two years. If you asked for both in your application, you do not need to do anything more.  The judge will automatically set a hearing for your extension request if the TPO was granted.

However, if you only asked for a 45-day TPO in your application but now want to have it extended longer, you will have to ask for an extension in writing.  You must do this before the TPO expires.

To request an extension, fill out the form in the following packet and follow all instructions. Be sure to file this before your TPO expires.

Motion to Extend Temporary Protection Order

If you already have an extended order in place, you cannot request another extension.  You will have to apply for a new protection order when the one you have expires.


For Either Party: Changing or Cancelling a Protection Order

A protection order includes many terms that the parties have to follow.  If your situation changes, the terms in the protection order might need to change too.  Things that might need to change are:

  • If there are new home, work, or school addresses that the adverse party should stay away from.
  • If the child custody and visitation schedule in the protection order needs to change. 

You might also want to cancel the protection order completely. 

If you want to make changes or cancel the protection order, fill out the form in the link below and follow all instructions.  Keep following all of the terms of the protection order until the hearing.  If the judge changes any of the orders, the changes won't apply until AFTER your hearing. 

Motion to Modify / Dissolve Protection Order


For Either Pary: Objecting to a Hearing Master's Recommendation

Most protection order matters are decided by hearing masters and not judges.  If a hearing master makes a decision that you believe is legally wrong, you can file an "objection."  Objections are set for a hearing in front of a district court judge who will determine whether the hearing master correctly followed the law.

Do not file this just because you disagree with the hearing master's decision.  You have to show that the hearing master did not apply the law correctly in your case. 

You only have 14 days to file an objection after a hearing master makes a decision.  To file an objection, fill out the following packet and follow all included instructions:

Objection to TPO Hearing Master's Recommendation


How to Oppose A Motion or Objection the Other Party Filed

If the other person filed something that set a court date, you can file a written response.  This lets the court know your side of the story before the hearing.

Look at the title of what you were served with.  There are different responses depending on what the other person filed.

If the other person filed a motion or an application, you can file an "Opposition."

TPO Opposition

If the other person file an objection, you can file a "Response to Objection."

Response to TPO Objection