How to Apply for a Domestic Violence Protection Order

Learn about the process to file for a protection order and find required forms here.   

Questions bw Before you begin:

  • Make sure you are filling out the correct forms.   This page is only for those who want to apply for a domestic violence protection order against an adult family member, ex-spouse, or ex-boyfriend / girlfriend because of domestic violence.  You cannot file this kind of order against an adult sibling or an adult cousin. 

    If you need to file against a person under age 18, do not use the forms on this page.  Use the "Protection Order Against a Minor" forms instead. 

    If you need to file against a non-relative or an adult sibling/cousin, do not use the forms on this page.  Visit the Civil Law Self-Help Center’s website to find other protection order forms that fit your situation. 
  • Contact an advocate for help.  If you want to talk to someone about safety planning, emergency resources, or discuss whether a protection order is a good idea at this point, there are advocates who can talk about your options.  Visit the domestic violence page for a list of advocates you can contact. 


Follow these steps to apply for a domestic violence protection order:

Copy bw 1. Fill out the forms.  There are several forms you will have to fill out.  

Clerk bw 2. File the forms.  Turn in your completed forms by email, efiling, or in person. 

Emergency Order bw 3. Wait for a phone call from the Judge.  The judge will contact you either the same day or the next business day for a short hearing. 

Important bw 4. What to do if the protection order is granted.  

Learn more about each step below.


Copy bw 1. Fill out the forms:

You can complete the forms one of two ways.  You can do an online interview that will create the forms for you based on the information you provide, or you can fill out the forms directly.  You may also visit the SafeNest TPO office if you need more direct, in-person assistance with this process. 

Option 1 (preferred): Guided online interview 

You can answer some questions online and have the forms created for you.  You can efile the forms directly with the court once once you are finished, or you can save them and file them through the options explained in Step 2 below.   To do this, visit the Guide and File site and select "PROTECTION ORDERS (NV) - Help Me Start My Case" from the list of filing interviews.  You will need to create an account and enter all required information.

Option 2: Complete the individual forms yourself

Download and save the forms to your computer before you start filling them out, or your information will not save.

These packets include every form you need.  

DV TPO Application Packet - use this if the adverse party does not know your address (pdf fillable)

DV TPO Application Packet - use this if the adverse party does know your address (pdf fillable)

Paquete de Solicitud DV - use esto si la parte contraria no conoce su dirección (pdf fillable)

Paquete de Solicitud DV - use esto si la parte contraria conoce su dirección (pdf fillable)


These are the individual forms if you'd rather do them separately:

Application for Protection Order Against Domestic Violence (pdf fillable) - required


TPO UCCJEA Declaration Form (pdf fillable) - required if children are included in the TPO request

Confidential Information Sheet (pdf fillable) - required

TPO Family Court Cover Sheet (pdf fillable) - required


Clerk bw 2. Turn in your application. 

If you have an attorney who will represent you in your protection order case, the attorney must file the forms for you.  If not, file them in one of the ways below: 

  • If you did the guided online interview and chose to efile your forms through that program, you will get an email confirmation once they are filed.
  • If you want to submit the completed forms yourself, file them with the Clerk.
    • In person: You can file the forms in person at the Family Court, 601 N Pecos, Las Vegas, NV 89101 during regular business hours (Mon-Fri, 8am-4pm).  Look for the filing room next to courtroom 19.    
    • Online: You can file through the court's e-filing system, eFileNV. There is a $3.50 fee to upload your documents. You must register for an account, you must provide a valid email address, and you must be able to scan and upload your documents as separate pdfs.  Do not upload one pdf with all of the forms included - this will significantly delay the processing.  Each form needs to be filed as its own pdf, but you can upload all of them in one submission.  Carefully follow the E-Filing Guide to avoid mistakes. 
      E-Filing Guide

If you have questions or want someone to review the forms first, send them to TPO staff.  Email the completed forms to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..  Staff can review them and answer any questions you have before you file them.  


Emergency Order bw 3. Wait for a phone call from the judge.  

The judge typically holds a short hearing by phone as long as your paperwork is turned in by roughly 3:00 on a court business day.  If it is too late for the judge to review your case the same day, the judge will decide it the next day.  You will get a decision as soon as you have a telephone hearing with the judge. 

You will get a call from a private/blocked/unlisted number or a number that looks like this: (702) 455-xxxx.  Answer any incoming calls after you file to make sure you do not miss the court's call.  If you do not answer when the judge calls, your application may be delayed or denied. 


Important bw If the TPO is Granted:

Get copies of your TPO

If there are addresses the other person has to stay away from (work, schools, etc.), get enough copies of the TPO so each location can keep one.  Give a copy to each location so they know the adverse party is to stay away.  The court will give you certified copies for free.  Keep a copy of the TPO with you at all times.  

The Adverse Party will be served

If the protection order is granted, the court will arrange for the Sheriff to serve the other person if he/she lives in Clark County.  You may be responsible for finding someone to serve them if they live somewhere else.  Whoever serves the adverse party must fill out an Affidavit of Service, and this form must be filed at the court.

TPO - Affidavit of Service (pdf)

If no one is able to serve the adverse party in person, you can request permission to serve by alternate means, such as email, social media, text., etc.  The following packet includes the instructions and forms needed to do this:

TPO - Alternate Service (pdf) 

The protection order is not enforceable against the other person until they are served!  If the other person shows up or causes problems, call 911.  The officers can serve the adverse party with the papers if the person is there when officers arrive.

If you requested an Extended Protection Order:

There will be a hearing.  It is listed on your paperwork.  Fill out the form below to appear by phone at the hearing.  If you do not make plans to participate, the judge cannot extend your order and your TPO will expire. 

Request to Appear by Telephone (pdf fillable)

You can ask for a court advocate to go with you to the hearing.  Call SafeNest at (702) 877-0133 or SAFE House at (702) 564-3227 if you would like an advocate. 

The Adverse Party may file to cancel or change the order

The other person has the right to ask that the protection order be cancelled or changed.  If they do, the court will set a hearing for you both to attend so the judge can decide whether to cancel or change the terms.  The court will let you know if this happens.  You can file a response, or you can just go to the hearing.