The Family Law Self-Help Center is currently closed to in-person assistance. Staff can assist by phone or email with yourClark County, Nevada family matter. Call us at 702-455-1500 or email us at For domestic violence protection orders, call the same number or email For e-filing help, call 702-455-4472 and press 9. To find other important information related to COVID-19 click here.


How to Apply for a Domestic Violence Protection Order

You can find forms and learn about the process to file for a protection order here.   

To Apply:

1.  Make sure you are filing the correct forms.

Visit the Protection Order Overview page to learn about the many kinds of protection orders available.  Make sure the domestic violence order is the one you need.  The forms below are only for people who need to file against a family member, an ex-spouse, or an ex-boyfriend or girlfriend because of domestic violence.  Note, as of July 1, 2019, adults cannot file against adult siblings or cousins for a domestic violence protection order.   


The Family Court only handles protection orders for victims of domestic violence who are applying to keep a family member or ex-partner away.  Adult siblings and adult cousins do not qualify. 

There are many other kinds of protection orders that may fit your situation better. If you need a protection order against stalking or harassment, harm to children, sexual assault, or harassment in the workplace, visit the Civil Law Self-Help Center’s website for forms and information.


2. Fill out all of the forms:


There is an automated interview available that will complete your domestic violence protection order forms for you after answering some questions.  Click here to use the automated interview for a domestic violence protection order.  It is best to use Chrome or Firefox (Safari is not recommended).   

If you use the automated interview, you are strongly encouraged to create an account if you have a safe email address.  That is the only way to save your answers if you need to make changes.  

At the end of the interview you can email your application to the family court filing clerk, or you can efile them yourself.  The filing instructions are included at the end of the interview.

If you would rather fill out the forms yourself, these packets include every form you need:

DV TPO Application Packet - use this if the adverse party does not know your address (pdf fillable)

DV TPO Application Packet - use this if the adverse party does know your address (pdf fillable)

These are the individual forms if you'd rather do them separately:

Application for Protection Order Against Domestic Violence (pdf fillable)

Confidential Contact Preference Sheet (pdf fillable)

Confidential Information Sheet (pdf fillable)

TPO Family Court Cover Sheet (pdf fillable)


3. Submit your application. 

  • If you used the guided online interview, you will get an instruction page that includes a court email address to send your completed forms to.  Email your forms directly to the court.  
  • If you used the pdf fillable forms and you do not have an attorney to file them for you, TPO staff can assist.  Email the forms to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to ask to have the forms filed.  If you do have an attorney who will represent you in your protection order case, the attorney must file the forms for you.

4. Wait for a phone call from the judge.  

The judge typically holds a short hearing by phone as long as your paperwork is turned in by roughly 4:00.  If it is too late for the judge to review your case the same day, the judge will decide it the next day.  You will get a decision as soon as you have a telephone hearing with the judge. 

You will get a call from a number that looks like this: (702) 455-xxxx.  Please answer your phone if you see a call from a number that looks like that, as that is the judge or the judge's staff trying to reach you.  If you do not answer, your application may be delayed or denied. 


What Happens Next:

Get Copies of Your TPO

If there are addresses the other person has to stay away from (work, schools, etc.), get enough copies of the TPO so each location can keep one.  Give a copy to each location so they know the adverse party is to stay away.  The court will give you certified copies for free.

Keep a copy of the TPO with you at all times.  

The Adverse Party Will be Served

If the protection order is granted, the court will arrange for the Sheriff to serve the other person if he/she lives in Clark County.  You may be responsible for finding someone to serve them if they live somewhere else or if you did not provide an address for them.  Whoever serves the adverse party must fill out an Affidavit of Service, and this form must be filed at the court.

TPO - Affidavit of Service (pdf)

If no one is able to serve the adverse party in person, you can request permission to serve by alternate means, such as email, social media, text., etc.  The following packet includes the instructions and forms needed to do this:

TPO - Alternate Service (pdf) 

The protection order is not enforceable against the other person until they are served!  If the other person shows up or causes problems, call 911.  The officers can serve the adverse party with the papers if the person is there when officers arrive.

If You Requested an Extended Protection Order:

There will be a hearing.  It is listed on your paperwork.  Fill out the form below to appear by phone at the hearing.  If you do not make plans to participate, the judge cannot extend your order and your TPO will expire. 

Request to Appear by Telephone (pdf fillable)

You can ask for a court advocate to go with you to the hearing.  Call SafeNest at (702) 877-0133 or SAFE House at (702) 564-3227 if you would like an advocate. 

The Adverse Party May File to Cancel or Change the Order

The other person has the right to file a motion setting a court date so the judge can review whether to cancel or change the terms.  The court will let you know if this happens.  You can file a response, or you can just go to the hearing.