Responding to the Annulment Papers

If you have been served with annulment papers, there are things you must do to participate in the annulment case. If you do nothing, your spouse may be able to get a final annulment without you. Visit this section to find out important information you should know, deadlines you must follow, and forms you must file once you have been served.

If you disagree with anything your spouse is asking for in their papers, you need to file a response.  Ignoring the papers will not make the case go away. In fact, if you do not file a response within 21 calendar days, the court could enter a default against you, and your spouse may be able to get a final decree that includes everything they asked for in their complaint.

This page explains the steps you need to take to respond to a complaint for annulment.

Read the Complaint for Annulment
Deadlines to Respond
Papers to Complete
Filing the Paperwork


Make sure you understand the basic annulment concepts so you can decide what to do. Visit Annulment Overview for more information. You can also attend a class for FREE where you can learn the basics of family law. Although there is no specific annulment class, the divorce class covers the same basic issues. Classes are available in English and Spanish. Visit Free Classes for more information.


Read the Complaint for Annulment

You first need to figure out what your spouse is asking for out of the annulment. Read the Complaint for Annulment. Don’t worry, the judge has not ordered anything yet – the complaint just tells you what your spouse is asking for as part of the case. You may agree with some, all, or none of the complaint. Write down next to each paragraph in the complaint whether you agree or disagree with what that paragraph says.

If you agree with everything your spouse is asking for, you may not need to file anything. Your spouse has to wait 21 days to see if you file a response.  If you do not, your spouse can get a default Decree of Annulment that matches everything requested in their complaint

If you disagree with anything your spouse is asking for, you will need to file a response.


If you are an active military service member, you may be able to ask the court to “stay” the proceedings if your military service prevents you from being able to participate in the case. See the Information For Active Military Members to learn more about this.


If you are unsure what to do, it is always best to talk to a lawyer. Visit Lawyers and Legal Help for information on lawyers and free / low-cost legal help.


Deadlines to File

You only have 21 calendar days after being served to file your papers. If you were served more than 21 days ago, or if you are not going to be able to file a response within 21 days, you can fill out the following paperwork to ask the judge to extend the time to let you file:

Declaration and Order To Extend the Time to Answer (pdf)

Declaration and Order To Extend the Time to Answer (pdf fillable)

If a default has already been entered against you, you can file papers asking the judge to “set aside” the default, which means you want the judge to hear your side of the story before making a final order. See Setting Aside an Order for information about this.


Papers to Complete to Respond to the Annulment

To respond to the annulment case, you will need to file 2 or 3 of these forms:

  1. Answer (and Maybe a Counterclaim) to Annulment
  2. Financial Disclosure Form
  3. Joint Preliminary Injunction (only needed if your spouse didn’t already file this)

Answer (and Maybe a Counterclaim) to Annulment

You have two choices when responding to the annulment papers:

  1. File an Answer only.  An "Answer" tells the judge and your spouse what parts of the complaint you agree with and disagree with. For instance, you might agree with paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 7, 8 of the complaint for annulment, but disagree with paragraphs 4, 5, 6 of the complaint. Write that in the Answer. This lets the judge and your spouse know what issues will need to be dealt with.

    Answer to Annulment (pdf)

    Answer to Annulment (pdf fillable) 

  2. File an Answer with a Counterclaim. The "Answer" (described above) tells the judge and your spouse what you agree and disagree with from the complaint.  You can also include a "Counterclaim" where you can tell them specifically what you want out of the case.   You can list the specific custody orders, etc. that you would like the judge to order. You can also ask for a divorce instead if you disagree with the annulment.

    Answer & Counterclaim for Annulment - No Children (pdf)

    Answer & Counterclaim for Annulment - No Children (pdf fillable)

    Answer & Counterclaim for Annulment - With Children (pdf) 

    Answer & Counterclaim for Annulment - With Children (pdf fillable)


Financial Disclosure Form ("FDF")

You (and your spouse) have to file a Financial Disclosure Form within 30 days of when you file your Answer. It is best to file it with your Answer so you do not forget later. The Financial Disclosure Form, or “FDF,” gives information about your employment, your income, your expenses, your property, and your debts. You must attach your three most recent paystubs to this form.  This information helps the judge to have an idea of what financial issues are involved in the annulment. If you do not fill out this form completely and accurately, the court may rule against you.

Financial Disclosure Form (pdf)  Financial Disclosure Form - General (pdf fillable)


 Joint Preliminary Injunction ("JPI")

You do not need to fill out this form if your spouse already did.  If they did not, you can request this injunction when you file your papers.  The injunction prevents both you and your spouse from doing the following while the case is going on:

  • You cannot hide, sell, or dispose of community property.
  • You cannot cancel or change the beneficiaries on any retirement accounts or insurance plans.
  • You cannot harass each other, the children, each other’s relatives, or family pets.
  • You cannot relocate the children out of Nevada without written permission. 

Whoever has the form issued by the Clerk is legally prevented from doing all of the above things as soon as it is issued. The other spouse is legally prevented from doing these as soon as he or she is served with the papers.

If you would like this injunction issued, you must file a written request asking the Clerk of Court to issue one.  Fill out the request below, and the Clerk will issue a detailed injunction when you file.

Joint Preliminary Injunction Request (pdf) 

Joint Preliminary Injunction Request (pdf fillable) 


Filing the Papers

After you fill out the papers above, file them with the family court. The fee to file these papers is $217. The fee is payable by cash, money order, or most major credit/debit cards. If you cannot afford the fee, please see Filing Fees and Waivers to find out how to ask the court to waive the fee.

You can file your papers one of three ways:

  1. In Person: Bring your filing fee and the forms to the Family Courts and Services Center. You will be able to file your papers in person at the Clerk’s Office. The Clerk’s Office is open Monday – Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m, but you must arrive by 3:40 p.m. to see a Clerk before closing. Be sure to arrive before then.

  2. By Mail: If you cannot come to the court during business hours, you can mail your forms and the filing fee to:

    Family Courts and Services Center
    Attn: Clerk of Court
    601 North Pecos Road
    Las Vegas, NV 89101

  3. Online: Many documents can be filed online through the court's e-filing system, eFileNV (although some documents must be filed in person). There is a fee of $3.50 to upload your documents, in addition to the regular filing fee. You must register for an account, you must provide a valid email address, and you must be able to scan and upload your documents.


Next Step: Serve the Plaintiff

After you complete the steps on this page, a copy of your answer/counterclaim (and anything else you filed) must be sent to your spouse (the “Plaintiff”). The Court does not serve the papers for you.  It is up to YOU to make sure your spouse gets served after you file these papers.  After you have completed the steps on this page, learn all about how to have your spouse served by visiting the Serving the Answer/Counterclaim page.