Juvenile Employment

Juvenile Employment


A work permit is no longer required for children to be employed.  Clark County stopped issuing work permits as of February 1, 2015.  Please see the Juvenile Justice Services announcement for more information.  

Children between the ages of 14 - 17 are allowed to work without court approval and without a work permit.  Employers must abide by the laws regarding juvenile employment found in Nevada Revised Statutes 609

Children ages 13 and under typically must obtain a judge's permission to work.  No court approval is needed for children to perform housework, farmwork, or perform in a motion picture.  However, court approval is needed for any other kind of work for a child 13 or younger.  The information on the rest of this page is for parents and guardians who need to get a judge's permission to allow a child 13 or under to work.


How to get court approval for a child age 13 or younger to work

To get a court order allowing a child aged 13 or under to work, follow these steps:

  1. Complete the Paperwork
  2. File the Paperwork
  3. Submit the Order to the Judge
  4. Wait for the Signed Order

Complete the Paperwork

You must fill out the following required documents:

Family Court Cover Sheet - Required

This form asks for basic information about you and the child. The Clerk of Court uses this information to open your case with the court.  The parent is the petitioner, and the type of case being filed is a "Other - work permit" under "miscellaneous domestic relations petitions."

Family Court Cover Sheet (pdf)

Family Court Cover Sheet (pdf fillable)


Ex Parte Application for Permission to Work and Declaration of Parent - Required

This form is completed by the child's parent, and tells the judge about the job the child would like to have.  You must include information about the employer, the work hours, the child's job duties, and why the parent and the child want the child to have the job.

Ex Parte Application for Permission to Work (pdf fillable)


Order for Permission to Work - Required

This is the order the judge signs if the request for employment is approved.  Fill out everything except section (f) and the date and signature line for the judge.

Order Granting Permission to Work (pdf fillable)


File the Paperwork

After you fill out the papers above, you must file the cover sheet and the Ex Parte Application for Permission to Work with the family court to open up a case (the Order will be given to the judge in the next step). The fee to file these papers is $270 (the fee may be waived in some circumstances of short-term employment). The fee is payable by cash, money order, or most major credit/debit cards. If you cannot afford the fee, please see Filing Fees and Waivers to find out how to ask the court to waive the fee.

You can file your papers one of three ways:

  1. In Person: Bring your filing fee and the forms to the Family Courts and Services Center. (check our How to File page for hours and more information).

  2. By Mail: If you cannot come to the court during business hours, you can mail your forms and the filing fee to:

    Family Courts and Services Center
    Attn: Clerk of Court
    601 North Pecos Road
    Las Vegas, NV 89101

  3. Online: You can file online through the court's e-filing system, eFileNV. There is a fee of $3.50 to upload your documents, in addition to the regular filing fee. You must register for an account, you must provide a valid email address, and you must be able to scan and upload your documents.

Submit the Order to the Judge

After filing the papers with the Clerk, you must submit the Order Granting Permission to Work to the judge for consideration.  You can send this form by mail or bring it to the courthouse, or you can submit it electronically by emailing it to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . If you need to have the order signed quickly, bring it to the courthouse and call one of the judge's staff from the courtesy phones on the third floor.  They may be able to assist you right away.

Wait for the Signed Order

The judge will review the paperwork, and will sign the order if approved.  The order will be sent back to you. 

If the judge has questions about the application, the judge may require you to come to court for a short hearing before ruling on the request.  You will be notified about this from the judge's staff.

Provide a copy of the final, signed order to the employer as proof that the child has court approval to work.