Child Protection ("CPS")

Child Protection ("CPS")

Reporting Child Abuse:

To report suspected child abuse or neglect in Clark County, Nevada, call the Child Abuse Hotline at (702) 399-0081.  You can also visit the Family Services website to find an online reporting form.  

CPS In General

Child Protective Services (“CPS”) is the part of Department of Family Services (“DFS”) that investigates reports of child abuse and child neglect. Anyone can contact CPS with concerns about a child’s welfare. If a report shows that a child might be in danger, CPS must investigate the child’s safety. After investigating, CPS can do one of three things:

  1. Close a report as unsubstantiated if no abuse or neglect is found. 
  2. Leave the child in the home but offer supportive services to the family as needed. 
  3. Remove the child from the home if the child is in danger. 

Parents and relatives who have been contacted by CPS understandably have many questions.  Below are some guides that explain the basics of how these cases work and steps involved.

Child Welfare Court Process

Child Welfare Roadmap

Guía para Familias

Guía Rápida para Familias


The following documents provide some very basic information for parents and family members.

Q&A: CPS Information for Parents

Q&A CPS Information for Relatives


Resolving Disputes with CPS 

The Ombudsman for Clark County Family Services and Social Services reviews and resolves complaints related to the department of family services.  The Ombudsman can also explain department policies, procedures, and regulations.  For more information about the services the Ombudsman can provide, please visit their website or download the flyer below:

Ombudsman for Department of Family Services


Resources for Relative Caregivers

Relatives who are caring for children may be eligible for different kinds of financial and support services.  Please see the attached flyer for resources and contact information.

Resources for Relative Caregivers