File the Termination of Parental Rights Papers

To terminate a parent's rights, there are certain forms you must fill out and file with the court. You can find instructions and all the forms you need to file a termination of parental rights case in this section.

The forms and information on this page are only for TPRs filed in Clark County Nevada.  If you need to file somewhere else, check with your local court to see if there are forms available. 


Make sure you understand the basic laws about terminating parental rights before filling out any forms.  Visit the TPR Overview page to learn about the law and the legal requirements to file for a termination of parental rights in Nevada.

Steps to starting your case:

Complete the Termination Papers
File the Termination Papers

1. Complete the Papers

To file for a termination of parental rights, you will need to file ALL of these forms:

Family Court Cover Sheet

This form is REQUIRED.  This form asks for basic information about you, the other parent, and the children. You are the Petitioner and the other parent is the Respondent. The Clerk of Court uses this information to open your case. 

Family Court Cover Sheet (pdf)  Family Court Cover Sheet (pdf fillable) 


Petition to Terminate Parental Rights

This form is REQUIRED.  This form tells the judge and the other parent why the parent's rights should be terminated.  Fill out this form completely, and be as detailed as possible about the reasons you want the parent's rights terminated.  The judge will rely on this information at the hearing.

Petition to Terminate Parental Rights (pdf)

Petition to Terminate Parental Rights (pdf fillable)


Notice of Hearing

This form is REQUIRED.  This form sets a court date and tells the other parent they must attend the hearing if they want to oppose the termination.  The Clerk of Court will fill in a hearing date when you file this form. 

Notice of Hearing (pdf)   Notice of Hearing (pdf fillable) 


Ask the Clerk to set a court date far enough away that will give you enough time to serve the documents.  You will need to serve:

  1. The other parent.  If you don't know where the other parent is, you may need to publish a notice in a paper and serve the parent's nearest known relative living in Nevada.  This can take 60-90 days.
  2. If you receive public assistance, you must serve the Child Support Office at least 45 days before the hearing.


2. File the Papers

After you fill out the papers, you will need to file them with the family court to open up a case. The fee to file these papers is $270. The fee is payable by cash, money order, or most major credit/debit cards. If you cannot afford the fee, please see Filing Fees and Waivers to find out how to ask the court to waive the fee.

You can file your papers one of three ways:

  1. In Person: Bring your filing fee and the forms to the Family Courts and Services Center. You will be able to file your papers in person at the Clerk’s Office. The Clerk’s Office is open Monday – Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m, but you must arrive by 3:40 p.m. to see a Clerk before closing. Be sure to arrive before then.

  2. By Mail: If you cannot come to the court during business hours, you can mail your forms and the filing fee to:

    Family Courts and Services Center
    Attn: Clerk of Court
    601 North Pecos Road
    Las Vegas, NV 89101

  3. Online: Many documents can be filed online through the court's e-filing system, eFileNV (although some documents must be filed in person). There is a fee of $3.50 to upload your documents, in addition to the regular filing fee. You must register for an account, you must provide a valid email address, and you must be able to scan and upload your documents.


If you efile your documents, you will be agreeing to be served with future legal documents electronically. Be sure to use an email address that you will check regularly so that you do not miss important legal documents filed in your case. If your email addresses changes, you must update that information in your efile account. If you would rather receive future legal documents through the U.S. Mail, file your documents in person or by mail.

Next Step: Serve the Respondent

After you complete the steps on this page, a copy of the Petition and the Notice of Hearing must be hand-delivered to the other parent (the “Respondent”). The Court does not serve the papers for you.  It is up to YOU to make sure your the other parent gets served after you file.  After you have completed the steps on this page, learn all about how to have the parent served by visiting the Serving the Termination Papers page.


The Court does not serve the papers for you.  If you do not make sure the other parent is properly served, your case could be dismissed.