Birth Certificate Corrections

Birth Certificate Corrections



This process only corrects a clerical error regarding a parent's name on a birth certificate. This is not the process to change a child's name or to remove/change the named parent on the birth certificate. To change a child's name, please see Child Name Changes. If the parent listed on the birth certificate is not actually the parent of the child and needs to be removed or changed, please see Filing for Paternity/Custody.


Gender changes do not require a court order.  Individuals born in Nevada can change their gender on their birth certificate by completing some forms with the Nevada Office of Vital Statistics.  You can find the forms and information by visiting their site and clicking on the "Gender/Sex Change Informational Packet." You can also call Vital Statistics for more information at (775) 684-4242.

You can learn more about correcting your gender marker on your birth certificate, driver's license, and with social security by visiting the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada gender marker change brochure.

About Birth Certificate Corrections

Sometimes a parent's name does not appear correctly on a birth certificate.  Maybe the parent's name is spelled wrong, or a middle name and last name are accidentally reversed.  When a parent's name is incorrect on a child's birth certificate, the parents can ask the court for an order to correct the birth certificate.  

If the child was born recently, the parents should first contact the medical records department at the hospital where the child was born.  Explain the error, and find out if the hospital can assist you in making the correction. 

If not, the parents can follow the steps on this page to have the birth certificate corrected. 

How to Get a Birth Certificate Corrected

To ask the court to correct a birth certificate, follow these four steps:

Complete the Papers
File the Papers
Submit the Order to the Judge
Contact Vital Statistics

Complete the Papers

You must complete ALL of the following documents to ask the court to correct a birth certificate.

Family Court Cover Sheet

This form asks for basic information about the parents who are filing the paperwork and the child so the Clerk of Court can open your case. The parents are the Petitioners. If you have any other cases at family court that include the other parent and/or the child (for example, child support cases, custody cases, etc.), be sure to fill out the second page with as much information about those cases as you can. The Clerk of Court uses this information to open your case and to make sure all of your cases are assigned to the same judge.

Family Court Cover Sheet (pdf)   Family Court Cover Sheet (pdf fillable)


Petition to Correct Birth Certificate

This form tells the Court what is wrong on the birth certificate.  Be sure to clearly write or type the incorrect name that appears on the birth certificate and the corrected name that should appear.  

Typically, both parents must sign the Petition to have the birth certificate corrected. If only one parent is filing, the parent must explain why the other parent is not signing the paperwork.

Petition to Correct Birth Certificate (pdf fillable)


Copy of Birth Certificate

Attach a copy of the child's birth certificate to this form.  The birth certificate will be filed as a confidential document.

Copy of Birth Certificate (pdf fillable)


Request for Summary Disposition & Declaration in Support

This form asks the judge to grant the correction without you having to appear at a hearing. When both parents agree to the correction, the judge may approve the birth certificate correction without a hearing. In some cases, the judge may require you to appear at a hearing before granting the correction. You will find out later whether the judge wants you to attend a hearing.

Request for Summary Disposition & Declaration in Support (pdf fillable)


Order for Birth Certificate Correction

This is the form the judge signs to approve the birth certificate correction. Although this will not be needed until the last step, it is best to fill it out ahead of time and save it for later. This will be turned into the judge after you have finished all of the rest of the steps. Complete all sections on the form except for the date and signature line for the judge.

Order for Birth Certificate Correction (pdf fillable)


File the Papers

After you fill out the papers above, you will need to file them with the family court to open up a case. The fee to file these papers is $270. The fee is payable by cash, money order, or most major credit/debit cards. If you cannot afford the fee, please see Filing Fees and Waivers to find out how to ask the court to waive the fee.

You can file your papers one of three ways:

  1. In Person: Bring your filing fee and the forms to the Family Courts and Services Center. You will be able to file your papers in person at the Clerk’s Office. The Clerk’s Office is open Monday – Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m, but you must arrive by 3:40 p.m. to see a Clerk before closing. Be sure to arrive before then.

  2. By Mail: If you cannot come to the court during business hours, you can mail your forms and the filing fee to:

    Family Courts and Services Center
    Attn: Clerk of Court
    601 North Pecos Road
    Las Vegas, NV 89101

  3. Online: Many documents can be filed online through the court's e-filing system, eFileNV. There is a fee of $3.50 to upload your documents, in addition to the regular filing fee. You must register for an account, you must provide a valid email address, and you must be able to scan and upload your documents.


Submit the Order to the Judge

When you file your papers, you will find out which judge is assigned to your case.  You must submit the Order for Birth Certificate Correction to the judge for approval. You can mail the order to the court, or you can bring it to the family courthouse and drop it off in person. If bringing it in person, take the order to the 3rd floor at family court and drop it in the box for your judge.

The judge will review all of your paperwork and decide whether to approve the correction. The judge will sign the order if approved. The judge's staff will then mail the order back to you or will contact you so you can pick up the order and have it filed. If you are instructed to file the order yourself, take it to the Clerk's Office for filing.

The judge may want you to appear at a hearing before making a decision. If so, the order will be returned to you with a memo from the judge's staff asking you to set a "prove up" or an "uncontested" hearing. This is a short hearing where the judge can ask you some questions before deciding whether to approve the correction. To set a hearing, fill out a "Setting Slip" and bring it to the courthouse. A clerk will be able to set a court date for you when you file the form.

Uncontested Setting Slip (pdf fillable)

Bring the order with you to the hearing so the judge can sign it in court if granted.


Contact Vital Statistics

Once you get your signed order, you must send a copy of your court order to Vital Statistics to have the birth certificate changed.  Please contact the Nevada Office of Vital Statistics to find out the process and any other forms you may need to get the birth certificate changed in Nevada. 

Vital Statistics may require a "certified" copy of the order before changing the birth certificate.  If so, you can obtain a certified copy of the order for $3 from the Clerk of Court's Records Department.