Now What?

There are a number of things that will happen after you file your Answer. You may have to file some additional papers, and the judge will schedule a hearing that both of you must attend. This page will explain the different things that might happen next in your case.



The court process and issues involved in annulments are usually very similar to divorces.  The annulment section of this website covers only the basic information for annulment cases.  For a more detailed overview of things you might need to know for your annulment case (like going to court, preparing for trial, filing motions, etc.), please visit the Divorce section of this website.  Many of the links on this page will take you to that section. The information there typically applies to annulment cases as well.


Your Spouse Might File a Reply to Your Counterclaim

If you filed an Answer with a Counterclaim, your spouse might file a “Reply to Counterclaim.” This is a document that lists what your spouse agrees and disagrees with from your counterclaim, much like your answer said what you agreed and disagreed with from the complaint. You do not need to respond to the Reply to Counterclaim.


Wait for a Court Date

The judge will set a court date in about 90 days. The hearing is called a “Case Management Conference.” You will receive a notice in the mail from the court with the hearing date included. Visit the Case Management Conference page for more information about this hearing.

You must file your Financial Disclosure Form within 30 days of when you filed your Answer. If you did not already file it, be sure to file it before the Case Management Conference.

Financial Disclosure Form (pdf)  Financial Disclosure Form - General (pdf fillable)


Ask for a Referral to the Family Mediation Center

Whenever parents cannot agree on custody or visitation for their children, the court requires the parents to attempt mediation. You can start this process yourself rather than waiting for a judge to order you to go to mediation. See Family Mediation Center for more information.


File Motions for Temporary Orders

You might have some issues you want the judge to sort out while the annulment case is going on. This could include who should live in the house, where the children should live, when each parent should have time with the children, whether either spouse should pay temporary child support, etc.

A judge can issue temporary orders to guide the parties while the case is moving forward. Either spouse can file a motion for temporary orders at any time before the final annulment is granted. Please visit Motions for Temporary Orders for more information.