Name Changes for an Entire Family

Parents and children can have their names changed through one court case if all of the family members want to have their names changed.  The family members must be residents of Clark County, Nevada. An adult can ask for their own name change and can also ask for a name change on behalf of the child. 


Typically, both parents must agree to have a child's name changed. However, one parent can ask for a name change under certain circumstances.  If the other parent is not included in the family name change case, the other parent has to be served with the name change papers to see if the other parent will object.

How to Have a Family's Names Changed

Make sure to read about the basics of name changes on the Name Change Overview page. Once you are ready to file for a name change, follow these five steps:

  1. Complete the Papers
  2. File the Papers
  3. Serve the Other Parent (this step is only needed if the other parent does not consent to the child's name change)
  4. Publish the Notice of Petition for Change of Name
  5. Submit the Order to the Judge

1. Complete the Papers

All of the following documents must be completed to ask the court for a name change:

  • Family Court Cover Sheet
  • Petition for Family Name Change
  • Notice of Petition for Family Name Change
  • Consent to Name Change (for parents and children 14 and older)
  • Request for Summary Disposition
  • Order for Family Name Change

Family Court Cover Sheet

This form asks for basic information about the adults who are filing the paperwork and the child(ren). You are the Petitioner, and a spouse filing with you is the Co-Petitioner. The Clerk of Court uses this information to open your case.

Use all family members' current legal names when completing this (and all) forms.

Family Court Cover Sheet (pdf)  Family Court Cover Sheet (pdf fillable)


Petition for Family Name Change

This form tells the Court about the family members' current names, the new names everyone wants to take, and the reasons why. You can ask for up to 2 adults and 2 children's names to be changed. This form assumes that the adults filling out the paperwork are the parents of the children.  Where the form asks for a person's current name, use the current full legal name.  Where the form asks for the new name, use the full new legal name that person would like to have.

Make sure to completely fill out section 10, which asks for information about the other parent. Indicate whether the other parent will agree to the child(ren)'s name change and if not, why.

Petition for Family Name Change (pdf fillable)


Notice of Petition for Family Name Change

Every proposed adult name change must be published in a newspaper in Clark County once.  Child name changes have to be published three times if the other parent cannot be found.  This form contains the information that will be published. You can find out how to publish this form below.  

Notice of Petition for Family Name Change (pdf fillable)

Consent to Child's Name Change (for parents and older children)

If the other parent is not one of the petitioners in the case but will agree to the child's name change, the parent can fill out this form. This form must be signed in front of a notary.

Parent's Consent to Child's Name Change (pdf fillable)

Any child age 14 or older must consent to their own name change. If any of the children are 14 or older, each child must complete a consent.

Child's Consent to Child's Name Change (pdf fillable)


Request for Summary Disposition & Declaration in Support

This form asks the judge to grant the name changes without you having to appear at a hearing. When both parents agree, the name changes are usually approved without a hearing. In some cases, the judge may want you to appear at a hearing before granting the name changes. You will find out later whether the judge wants you to attend a hearing.

Request for Summary Disposition & Declaration in Support (pdf fillable)


Order for Family Name Change

This is the form the judge signs to approve all of the name changes. Although this will not be needed until the last step, it is best to fill it out ahead of time and save it for later. This will be given to the judge after you have finished all of the rest of the steps. Complete all sections on the form except for the date and signature line for the judge. Make sure to indicate whether or not a new birth certificate should be issued for each person with their new name.

Order for Family Name Change (pdf fillable)


2. File the Papers

After you fill out the papers above, you will need to file them with the family court to open up a case. The fee to file these papers is $270. The fee is payable by cash, money order, or most major credit/debit cards. If you cannot afford the fee, please see Filing Fees and Waivers to find out how to ask the court to waive the fee.

You can file your papers one of three ways:

  1. In Person: Bring your filing fee and the forms to the Family Courts and Services Center. You will be able to file your papers in person at the Clerk’s Office. The Clerk’s Office is open Monday – Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m, but you must arrive by 3:40 p.m. to see a Clerk before closing. Be sure to arrive before then.

  2. By Mail: If you cannot come to the court during business hours, you can mail your forms and the filing fee to:

    Family Courts and Services Center
    Attn: Clerk of Court
    601 North Pecos Road
    Las Vegas, NV 89101

  3. Online: Many documents can be filed online through the court's e-filing system, eFileNV. There is a fee of $3.50 to upload your documents, in addition to the regular filing fee. You must register for an account, you must provide a valid email address, and you must be able to scan and upload your documents.


*3. Serve the Other Parent (if the other parent is not consenting)

This step is only required if a parent is not filing a consent to the child's name change.  Any living parent who still has parental rights to a child must be served with a copy of the Petition and the Notice of Petition so the parent knows that a name change has been requested for the child. The way to serve the other parent depends on the following:

  • If you know or can find out where the other parent is located: The parent must be personally served with the Petition and the Notice of Petition. The parent filing for the name change cannot serve the other parent. Someone over the age of 18 who is not a party to the case must hand-deliver the documents to the parent. You can ask someone you know to serve the documents, or you can hire the sheriff or a private process service. Visit the Sheriff’s Civil Process Section for more information on their fees and services.

    Whoever serves the other parent must fill out a Proof of Service form that says when, where, and how the other parent was served. Make sure this form is completed and filed at the family court.

    Proof of Service (pdf fillable)

  • If you do not know where to find the other parent: You can request permission from the judge to send the papers by mail and publish the notice in a newspaper.  You can download the packet below to learn about all of the steps required and find the forms.  If the judge approves your request, you will have to publish the notice in a newspaper for 3 weeks.

Child Name Change Publication Packet (pdf)


4. Publish the Notice of Petition for Name Change

You must publish the Notice of Petition for Name Change one time or three times depending on the following:

  • If the other parent signed the paperwork agreeing to the child's name change, publish the notice ONCE.
  • If the other parent did not sign the paperwork but was personally served with copies of the petition and notice, publish the notice ONCE.
  • If you received permission from the judge to publish a notice to the the other parent because they cannot be found, publish the notice THREE TIMES.

Contact a newspaper to arrange for publication. The popular newspapers who can publish the notice are:

Las Vegas Review-Journal: (702) 383-0320
Nevada Legal News: (702) 382-2747

After publication is complete, the newspaper will prepare an "Affidavit of Publication." This document must be filed with the court as proof that publication was completed. Usually, the newspaper sends this document directly to the court for filing. If the newspaper does not, contact the newspaper to obtain the affidavit and file it yourself. 


If you feel that your or the children's personal safety would be at risk if the Notice of Petition for Change of Name were published in a newspaper, you can ask the judge to waive the publication requirement. Waivers are only granted in rare circumstances. To ask the judge to waive the publication requirement, complete the Publication Waiver packet and follow all of the included instructions.


 5. Submit the Order to the Judge

The judge cannot grant the name changes until 10 days after the last date the notice was published. Wait at least 10 days after the final publication date to do this step.

When all of the above steps are finished, the judge can sign a final order changing the family members' names. You must prepare an order for the judge to review and sign. If you did not already fill out the order when you filled out your other paperwork, complete the form now. Complete all sections except for the date and signature line for the judge.

Order for Family Name Change (pdf fillable)

You must submit the order to the judge for approval. You can mail the order to the court, or you can bring it to the family courthouse and drop it off in person.  If bringing it in person, take the order to the Department Drop Box located outside the Self-Help Center on the 1st floor and drop it in the box.

The judge will review all of your paperwork and sign the order if approved. The judge's staff will either mail the order back to you or will contact you so you can pick up the order and have it filed. If you are instructed to file the order yourself, take it to the Clerk's Office for filing.

If the judge wants you to appear at a hearing before deciding on the name changes, the order will be returned to you with a memo from the judge's staff asking you to set a "prove up" or an "uncontested" hearing. This is a short hearing where the judge can ask you some questions before deciding whether to approve the name changes. To set a hearing, fill out a "Setting Slip" and bring it to the courthouse. A clerk will be able to set a court date for you when you file the form.

Uncontested Setting Slip (pdf fillable)

Bring the name change order with you to the hearing so the judge can sign it in person if the name changes are approved. 


Once you get your signed order, you will need to contact every agency and office where you wish to change every person's name so they can update each person's information. They will usually require a certified copy of the name change order, which you can obtain for a small fee from the Clerk of Court's Records Department.

If your order includes a request for a new birth certificate for any family members, you will need to contact the vital records department where each person was born to find out their requirements. If anyone was born in Nevada, please see the Nevada Office of Vital Statistics to find out how to get a Nevada birth certificate changed.